Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Coding to handling upgrades among versions

Okay, so as a point, its important to remember that you are coding, as a developer in the same code space that the Starlims developers are coding in.  That means, that we need to prepare carefully. 

Why?

Well, thinking about it in the light I cast above should tell you that when they (starlims) releases a new update its going to overwrite anything you've put in the same space when you apply that update.  Its prime among the causes of why I segregate code from their namespaces whenever possible so as to protect it as much as possible.

So, when I start coding inside a LIMS I define a new area (appropriately named to the LIMS or the place I'm developing in) and build, import or recreate forms, server scripts and data sources as I need them.  The same applies to building new tables as well, re-naming and localizing them as needed. 

That keeps updates from overwriting them.  It also allows you to utilize some good database design.  I realize the Starlims folks left a lot from v9 in the database tables to keep backwards compatibility but ouch.

Anyway, the point is build your own space so when you update the application it doesn't overwrite or undo your hard work.



No comments:

Post a Comment